Kanchenjunga Trek Permit

kanchenjunga trek permit

The 3rd highest mountain in the world, Mount Kanchenjunga is famous among the adventure seekers. The government policies in Nepal, trekkers require the permit if the area of the trek is an open border and have a connection with another country. The Kanchenjunga trekking area shares its border with India and China, Restricted Area Permit (RAP) is required for it. If you are planning for a trek to Kanchenjunga area, don’t forget to get the following Kanchenjunga trek permit:

The process takes about 2 hours, applying for special restricted area permits is entangled. There is no pre-arrangement for booking time ahead. There must be at least two people for getting the permit and the process must be forwarded by an administration approved guide / porter-guide. Hence Kanchenjunga trekking area must be arranged by a government authorized agency of the concerned area with a license holder trekking guide. The expense for Kanchenjunga restricted area entry permit is USD 10 for every individual for each week. Here below are four villages development committees which are declared restricted in the Kanchenjunga trekking area.

  • Yamphuding VDC
  • Lelep VDC
  • Paping VDC
  • Olangchungola VDC

Kanchenjunga Conservation Area Entry Permit (KCAP)

The Kanchenjunga Conservation Area lies just below the Mount Kanchenjunga. The area is located in northeastern Nepal in Taplejung District and is bordered by the Tibet Autonomous region by both China and India. During the spring season, the area has wonderful views of Rhododendron, Juniper, Snow leopard, Himalayan bear, Red Panda, and many more creatures. The free for Kanchenjunga conservation area entry permit is currently set at NRP 3000 per person.


Frequently Asked Questions – Top FAQ

1. Do I need a TIMS card permit for Kanchenjunga Trek?

No, it’s not. TIMS card is not required when you have the restricted permit. But, if you are planning to trek other destinations after the Kanchenjunga trekking like Everest, Manaslu, and Annapurna, TIMS card is required.

2. What are the necessary documents to get the permit?

The applying process is complicated. So, registered local travel company will do it for you. The following documents are required to get the permit:

  • The original passport with a valid visa of Nepal
  • A group of at least two people
  • PP size Photos

3. Is it possible to get the permit for a solo traveller?

We can arrange the ghost permit which means there will be two permits and you will only go on the trek. The guide will say that your trekking partner got ill and return, at permit check post which will not be a problem. Are planning for a solo trekking? Let us know!

4. How long does it take to issue the Kanchenjunga permit?

Generally, it takes approx. 2 hours to issue the Kanchenjunga trek permit during the high season.

5. Can I apply for my own Kanchenjunga trek permit?

Please note that solo trekkers are not allowed to trek in the Kanchenjunga.  You must have the following requirements by the Nepal government to file your Kanchenjunga trek permit:

  • You must hire at least one authorized person from a local travel agency, either a guide or porter.
  • You must be at least two trekkers in one group.
  • You must file your special permit through an authorized local travel agency.

If you are keen to trek Kanchenjunga do not hesitate to contact us.

You May Also Like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *