The Mardi Himal Trek is an ideal choice for trekkers of all kinds. The trek offers an experience of trekking in the quieter parts of the Annapurna region‘ off the beaten path.’ It is the lowest of Nepal’s trekking peaks and perhaps the least visited.
You will get to appreciate the solitary trails while trekking on this route, leading up to Mardi Himal Base Camp and finally the High Camp. The route smiles with green forests, fascinating villages, valleys, terraced farms and beautiful rivers. Plus, the Annapurna, Machhapuchhre (Fishtail) and Hiunchuli mountains ‘ extraordinary views.
Another advantage of this trekking route is that the trail makes a small circuit up to Mardi Himal’s base camp. So, we don’t have to go back on the same terrain.
Mardi Himal Trek Cost
While it comes to trekking in Nepal, many people are curious about the cost of trekking, but you don’t have to worry much about it. Compared to trekking in other parts of the world, trekking in Nepal is easy and cheap.
Mardi Himal Trek costs you around USD 690, and this trek is fully customizable. Let us know so that we can design the itinerary price-deals accordingly.
Mardi Himal trek cost depends on various factors:
- Number of days you’re planning on the trekking route
- The route you’re planning to take.
- The transport mode you choose from Kathmandu – Pokhara – Kande (the starting point of the trek).
- You are planning to go on the trek for the time of the year.
- The list of items in your bags that you pack.
- The accommodation mode in Pokhara / on the trail you choose.
- From and to Kathmandu / Pokhara tourist coach.
- Trekking permits — ACAP permit and TIMs Card.
- English Speaking guide during the trekking and meals, accommodation, salary, insurance and transfer.
- One porter per two trekkers during the trek to carry your luggage.
- Twin sharing guesthouse accommodation during the trekking.
- 3 meals a day — breakfast, lunch and dinner during the trekking.
- By private car/jeep transfers from and to starting and ending point of the trek.
- 2-nights hotel accommodation in Pokhara with breakfast.
- All government taxes.
How difficult is Mardi Himal trek?
For its amazing beauty, the Mardi Himal trek is gaining popularity. The trek is a 5 to 10-days short trek and is even suitable for beginner trekkers.
Most trekkers consider it to be a relatively easy route, as it is a teahouse trek. Also, because it is one of the shorter treks, people rate it as easy and the path doesn’t take you to hard places.
The trek takes you up to the 3540 meter high camp. Each day you hike around 5 to 6 hours on the foothills of Mardi Himal. But, between walks, the resting places create it simpler. Although you’re going to climb uphill, the elevation may not be a big issue. That’s because well-adjusted periods of rest are planned.
Mardi Himal Trek Outline Itinerary
Day 1. Arrive in Kathmandu, Nepal (1400m)
Day 2. Drive / Fly to Pokhara, 850m. (Drive approx. 7hrs. / Fly approx. 25 mins).
Day 3. Drive to Kande and trek to Pothana (1890m, about 2 hrs).
Day 4. Trek to Forest Camp / Kokar (2525m) 5 hrs.
Day 5. Trek to Low Camp (2975m) 3.5 hrs.
Day 6. Trek to High Camp (3540m) 3 hrs.
Day 7. Free day / hike to Mardi Himal Base Camp (4250m) 4-5 hrs, or Trek to Sidding village.
Day 8. Trek to Siding village (1,700m) 5 hrs, and drive to Pokhara 40 mins.
Day 9. Drive / Fly back to Kathmandu.
Mardi Himal Trek Permits
Trekking on any trekking destinations in Nepal requires permits from the Government of Nepal and specific permits for specific destinations to be obtained. And it’s a must to get a TIMS card for trekking anywhere in Nepal except in the restricted regions.
Moreover, since Mardi Himal is located in the Annapurna region, you must also obtain a permit for the Annapurna Conservation Area.
- ACAP permit cost: 3000 NPR (Approx. USD 33)
- TIMS card cost: 1000 NPR (Approx. USD 10)
Accommodation and Food Cost
You will be able to accommodate in Kathmandu and Pokhara 3 to 4-star hotels. The accommodations are twin-sharing basis during the trek. Upon request, you can also book a single supplement, but it may cost you more than the normal fees.
Tourists don’t frequent the trails of Mardi Himal Trek as much as the other regions. The accommodations in guesthouse are simple and available a private room but shareable shower.
You can enjoy authentic Nepalese food and international cuisine (Tibetan, Continental, Italian, Indian, etc.) during the trek. The guesthouse serves you breakfast, lunch and dinner from their menu. The price of the food and accommodations start at USD 25 to USD 30 for a day.
How much does a guide in Nepal cost?
Guides are the people who walk along the trail with you. They are good in English and they help you to communicate correctly on the trek with the locals.
They don’t carry your luggage, but by taking you through the most comfortable, safe and easy trails, they will reduce your burden. Generally speaking, you pay around USD 27 to USD 35 to hire Mardi Himal Trekking’s licensed guide.
Hiring a porter-guide cost
A porter guide will carry your gear plus guide you on the trail and will speak a little English. They are sufficient to communicate your interest and understand it.
It is a bit cheaper to hire a porter-guide than hiring a guide for the trek. The porter-guide usually cost you ranging from USD 22 to USD 25. In their work, they are pleasant, kind, sincere and trustworthy.
Hiring a porter cost
Porter is a kind of strong person who carries your gear from an isolated mountain village. They may or may not speak English, but their work is pleasant, kind and dedicated. Most porters are in search of seasonal work and they are from remote villages. Mardi Himal trek cost of hiring a porter is around USD 18 to USD 20 a day.
Mardi Himal Trek Packing List
The equipment required at the Mardi Himal trek can be expensive and depends on how much equipment you already own and whether you want the rest of your equipment to be rented or purchased.
The basics you need are a backpack, a cold weather sleeping bag, thermal clothes, hiking boots, trekking poles, a warm jacket, gloves and a beanie hat. It is advisable to use good quality worn-in boots to protect your feet. For more details click here
5 Tips to minimize your Mardi Himal Trek costs:
- In Kathmandu or Pokhara, you can rent various trekking gears that you may not use in the near future for daily purposes.
- Buy water purification tablets and water bottle so you don’t have to spend your money on the trail purchases of mineral water.
- Always get travel insurance covering medical conditions, cancelations of trips, delays in flight, emergency evacuations, theft, and robbery. You don’t have to pay a high amount in case of emergencies with this policy.
- Buy Kathmandu or Pokhara snacks and chocolate bars. Then you can buy on the trails, but as you go higher they are generally expensive. Food and accommodation pre-book so you don’t have to pay high while you’re on time.
- If you plan a camping trek, instead of buying a new one, you can hire sleeping bags and tents for some time. And after completing the trek, you can come back. This reduces your expenditure on new gears.
When is the best time to trek Mardi Himal?
Spring season (March-May) and autumn season (September-November) in Nepal is the best time for Mardi Himal trek. You will find the weather stable with the best views over the scenery during this time. The crisp sky in the serene environment allows you to enjoy the best views of the surrounding vegetation and the snow-covered peaks.
This season’s temperature is neither too hot nor too cold, so you’ll have the region’s best time to trek. In addition, the spring season offers you the lush Rhododendron forests that bloom in reds and whites.
However, you can plan this trek in winter if you want to avoid the crowd and enjoy the trek in complete solitude. There would be much cold and some passes might remain blocked by the snow, so you need to collect the right information about the place’s weather before your trek. Please note, it’s very important to pack properly whatever season you plan to trek.
Getting Mardi Himal Trek
Your Mardi Himal trek begins from Pokhara. You either take a flight from Kathmandu to Pokhara that costs about US$ 125 per person. Or you can travel by bus, jeep, tourist bus or private car which, depending on the vehicle you choose, will cost you about USD 10 to USD 30 on average. From Pokhara, you drive approx. 1 hour by taxi (USD 8 – 10) to Kande and start your trek 🙂.
Mardi Himal Trek cost varying on the services you choose. This trek is one of the finest treks in the Annapurna region. Compared to other treks in Nepal, it is fairly cheap and reasonable. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information. We assure you with the best of our expertise to guide and assist you.