In Nepal, the month December brings the winter season. December is not the perfect time for trekking in most of the Himalayan region. But it is one of the most challenging and adventurous trekking seasons.
The early days in December are pleasant with the stable weather during the daytime. At night, the temperature drops down to freezing point. Trekking in Nepal in December is good in the early days of December than late days.
The second half of the month December is relatively colder than the first half as it is the mid-winter season. The probability of snowfall is higher these days, which makes trekking more challenging.
At higher altitudes, you will notice the decrease in atmospheric pressure and temperature. This makes it difficult to trek above 4000m in winter. Also, most of the trails in the high passes could close down due to the snow.
Very few tea houses remain open during winters. Since the temperature is relatively low, even in the sunny days of December, walking under the sun during the day is quite comfortable. The skies are clear giving you a glimpse of the spectacular snow-capped mountains.
Weather Conditions in December in Nepal
Nepal is a small country with geographic diversity. The northern part of Nepal is cool in the summer and harshly cold in the winters. Likewise, the southern part of Nepal has a tropical climate in summer and a somewhat mild climate in the winter.
In December, the climate in the hilly region is around 2°C to 12°C. However, the temperature in the Himalayan region goes below the freezing point. The rainfall is minimum this month, so the skies will be crystal clear as in October and November. The higher altitude may get snow blizzards.
Highlights of Trekking in Nepal in December
- Skies are mostly clear with amazing views of the snow-capped mountain vistas.
- Temperature is freezing only at the higher altitudes in the month of December but at the lower altitudes temperature is mild.
- Less crowded trekking trail is one of the key feature of the trekking in Nepal in December. You can enjoy the peaceful environment along the trekking routes of Nepal.
Best Trekking Destination in Nepal in December
It is possible to trek in Nepal in December. You can feel the touch of winter in the Himalayas in this month.
Here are some of the trekking packages that are best suited for December.
Everest Panorama Trek in December
The Everest Panorama Trek is one of the easiest treks in the Everest region. You can complete the trek in a short duration. You can enjoy the panoramic view of the mountain ranges which includes Mt. Everest, Mt. Lhotse, Mt. Ama Dablam, Mt. Thamserku, and many more if you choose this trekking package.
The 11 days trek starts with a wonderful, short mountain flight that starts from Kathmandu to Lukla. From Lukla, you will be heading to your destination Namche Bazaar on foot. It is the marketplace situated at the altitude of 3440m.
From Namche, your next destination will be Tengboche. The main attraction of Tengboche is the Tengboche Monastery. Tengboche Monastery is the largest monastery in the Khumbu region. It is important for its religious aspect.
- Incredible view of the snow-capped Mt. Everest and other high mountain peaks
- Namche Bazaar, the market situated at the highest altitude in the world (3440m)
- Tengboche Monastery, the largest Buddhist monastery in Khumbu region
- The culture, traditions, and lifestyle of the local Sherpa people
Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek in December
One of the shortest and easiest treks in the Annapurna Region is the popular Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek. This trekking route is suitable for all kinds of trekkers, from the novice trekkers to the experienced trekkers.
You can view different trekkers with different age group from children to the old age people trying this trekking trail. You will be walking through the beautiful rhododendron and oak forests and green hills.
The most exciting feature of this trek is the sunrise view from Poon Hill. It offers a 360-degree wide range of panoramic views of the Himalayan range. The beauty of this trek in December is the clear blue sky and the wonderful views.
The average temperature will range from 2°C to below freezing if it snows, mostly in the morning and evenings. The daytime is perfect for trekking at this time of the year.
- 360-degree panoramic sunrise mountain views of Mt. Annapurna, Mt. Dhaulagiri, Mt. Nilgiri, Mt. Machhapuchhre, Lamjung Himal, and other mountain range from Poon Hill
- Experience the diverse culture, tradition, and lifestyle of the local tribes
- Passing through the beautiful lake city of Pokhara
- The natural beauty of the ancient rhododendron and oak forests
Langtang Valley Trek in December
Langtang Valley, one of the remote valleys in Nepal, lies in the area of Langtang National Park. It is nearest mountain region from Kathmandu. Though it is near to the urban city Kathmandu, the valley is not influenced by the modernization.
The best part of the Langtang Valley Trek in December is witnessing the winter lifestyle of the mountain region in Nepal. Exploring Kyanjin Gompa is one of the main features of this trek. It is the largest Buddhist monastery in the Langtang region. Climbing Kyanjin Ri is the additional feature of this trek.
The trekking journey starts with a scenic drive from Kathmandu up until Syabrubesi. Syabrubesi is the place from where your actual trekking on foot begins. You will be ascending towards the Thulo Syabru following the Langtang river, across the rhododendron forest.
During the month of December, the forest will be less green and there is less presence of wildlife. However, you will be seeing some monkeys (langur) along the way. Other animals hibernate during winter so, there will not be the chance to see different varieties of wildlife in this month. You will be safe from wild animal attack if you trek at this time of the year.
The weather is warm and sunny during the daytime during the month of December. Nights and mornings are freezing and temperature lowers up to sub-zero. During December before the snowfall, skies will be clear and bright.
Highlights of the Trek
- Exploring the lifestyle, culture, and tradition of the locals (Tamangs)
- Picturesque white painted mountain range views. ( Langtang Lirung, Langtang II, and Ganesh Himal)
- Diverse flora and fauna
- Safe trekking trail through the lush forest (hibernation time of the many wild animals)
Useful Tips for Trekking in Nepal in December
Winter in Nepal is not as severe as in the other parts of the world. The hilly and mountain regions have cold mornings and evenings, but afternoons are warm and sunny.
Despite the chilly temperature, there are some benefits of trekking at this time of the year as well. Some tips for your easy trekking in Nepal include:
- Besides clothing, make sure you carry your winter hiking boots and gear. Pack wisely and be sure not to overpack.
- It would be challenging to trek over the altitude of 4000m in winter. So, if you are a novice trekker, you should choose to trek at lower altitude in December.
- It is best not to travel alone during winters. You can hire a guide or join a group.
Things to Carry While Trekking in Nepal in December
You can enjoy Trekking in Nepal with right winter gears and equipment. Here is a list of essential trekking equipment that you will need on your trek.
- Lightweight hiking pants
- Thermal Pants (Lightweight)
- Waterproof and windproof Shell Pants (preferably breathable fabric)
- Thermal tops(Lightweight)
- Winter T-shirt
- Windstopper Jacket
- Waterproof Jacket
- Insulating Jacket
- Hiking Undergarments
- Sun hat
- Warm Fleece Hat
- UV protected Sunglasses
- Wool hiking socks
- lightweight inner hiking socks
- Hiking Shoes with a strong grip to walk on the snow with spare laces
- Hiking sandals
- Gaiters for hiking in winter
- Windproof/waterproof breathable gloves
- Woolen warm gloves
- Sleeping bag
- Trekking Backpack
- Backpack cover (waterproof)
- Headlamp with extra bulbs and batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Trekking Poles
- Water bottles (thermal)
- Toiletries and Personal Hygiene items
- Trail Map/ Guide Book
- Camera with extra batteries
- Sleeping bag liner
Cold seasons are usually not recommended for trekking to higher altitudes in the mountain region. However, with some extra preparations, trekking in Nepal in December is absolutely enjoyable.
Weather in the month December is usually calm and clear with a minimum trace of clouds. The mountain peaks are extra snowy with a marvelous extra white glow. The panoramic views of the mountain ranges are just incredible during this month.
For further details and more suggestions on trekking packages best suited for trekking in Nepal in December, do contact us.